Havana Grand Prix 2013
12. Juni 2013
In 1924, Club De Cantineros De Cuba was founded in order to maintain and protect the high standard of Cuban cocktails. Over the years, the local pool of bartending talent and the high quality of Cuban rum, have served to cement Havana’s reputation as the world’s cocktail mecca. This is the place where the Cuba Libre, Mary Pickford, Hemingway Special, El Presidente, Daiquiri and Mojito was born, but why stop there? Havana Club has actively encouraged the invention of new cocktails and the serving of them with consummate style. Cuba’s legendary culture took another big international step in 1996, when Havana Club hosted the first Havana Club International Grand Prix. This has since gone on to become the most important and prestigious competition for bartenders all over the world. By winning the Danish Havana Club cocktail competition you will qualify as the Danish representative to compete in the International Havana Club Grand Prix held in Havana, Cuba in 2014.
How do I enter?
All entrants must provide the following details:
- Name & phone number + Bar name and address
- (homemade ingredients must be specified as well)
- Method and garnish + Glassware + Inspiration
- All entrants must confirm that the copyright for the cocktail name, recipe, inspiration, cocktail photographs and bartender portrait will be vested in Havana Club.
- The entrant will be accredited wherever possible.
- Your e-mail must be sent to Cathrine.firstname.lastname@example.org before Wednesday the 5th of June
When & Where?
- The 8 participants will compete on Wednesday the 12th of June in Copenhagen at Pumpehuset
- You will have to use a jigger during the competition
- You will be judged on the following:
- Your cocktail (taste, aroma, presentation etc.)
- Your ability to present and perform as a bartender
- You will have 10 minutes to produce a classic Cuban cocktail and your signature cocktail (one for each referee, 4 cocktails in total two of each). During this time you will have the opportunity to talk to the judges and explain them about your cocktail. Information about the classic cocktails will be sent to the participants before the competition.
- There must be used a minimum of 4cl Havana Club Añejo 3 Años Añejo or Havana Club Añejo 7 Años Añejo.
- Glassware of your own choice, we will provide 3 possibilities of glassware if needed:
- Highball 35cl
- Lowball 25cl
- Cocktail Glass 21cl
- No other cane spirit can be used in the cocktail.
- Each recipe submission must be original, not won any other recipe contest and not previously published in any medium.
- All recipes will have to be measured in cl.
- If you choose to use any homemade ingredient, you will have to:
- Explain why you choose to use this ingredient.
- Give a thorough explanation of how you made this ingredient, e.g. if infused – how much and how long?
- You can use 7 ingredients in your cocktail, this includes dashes and garnish
What you provide
- Your own tools (jigger, muddler, poor, shaker, mixerglass and other tools)
- All additional products for the competition (juices, fruit, other spirits etc.)
- You will have to bring ingredients to make 4 of your signature cocktail, 2 cocktails in the prelimited round and 2 in the final.
What we provide
- Havana Club will provide glassware if needed
- Havana Club Añejo 3 Años Añejo and Havana Club Añejo 7 Años Añejo.
- Crusted ice and ice cubes
- Havana Club provide ingredients for the classic Cuban cocktails